Monday, April 7, 2008

Food Pantry To Open In May

Food pantry to open in May

A new Jackson food pantry will open in early May in the new American Red Cross building, 3425 Francis St. It will be open every Wednesday evening with no restrictions on how often people come for food.

It is being organized by members of Queen of the Miraculous Medal Catholic Church, 606 S. Wisner St., but is an ecumenical effort.

"This is Christ's mission, that's what we are all about," said the Rev. Robert McGraw, senior pastor.

When he arrived at the parish four years ago, McGraw said he heard about the food pantry at Immanuel Lutheran Church, 1505 W. Michigan Ave.

"I learned they were open on Saturday mornings, but what happens to feed people midweek? One weekend I preached a challenge to set a goal to at some point open another food pantry on Wednesdays, and here we are," McGraw said.

As final work is being done on the facility, it has become a project that "was meant to be" according to Mark Smith, a member of Queen's and religion education director at St. Mary Catholic Church, 301 S. Mechanic St.

He explained that Queen's had 135 members who wanted to volunteer at Immanuel's food pantry, but only 30 were needed. From not wanting to waste that time and talent, and wanting to feed people midweek, came the inspiration to open another pantry.

The "meant to be" part came when the Red Cross recently moved into its spacious new location and offered room to store pantry items and a separate room to distribute it to people.

"We're honored to give them the space," said Larry Lloyd, blood services director.

"We learned from Hurricane
Katrina that a lot of people are never thought of, or never put first. We want people to come to the food pantry and associate us with helping in other ways."

Janet Jaeger, who helps with Immanuel's pantry and is a member of End Hunger in Jackson, a coalition of food pantries that meets on a monthly basis, said she is delighted with the new facility.

Immanuel's pantry, Jaeger said, started in 2003 with a dozen families. Today it averages 260 families, with some Saturdays seeing more than 300.

"We want to have more food available in our community, and that location will be convenient for clients who can't get here. You know, we really can end hunger," she said.

Once the new pantry is up and running, McGraw said volunteers will take it a step further by offering people an "assessment" of their needs and helping them meet those needs. For instance, maybe a person has never been taught budgeting skills. Or a person needs help creating a resume or learning which agencies to call for specific assistance.

"We know they really don't want to be walking in the door asking for food. We want to help rebuild their dignity so the next time they come in it's as a volunteer to work at the pantry," McGraw said.

Over 300 people on a Saturday?!!! The economy in Jackson is horrible. And this is just one food bank. We don't have many but my church has one, there is the Interfaith Shelter which serves meals and people can stay and The Salvation Army. Possibly Catholic Social Services but that might be my associated with my church and now this one with Queen's.

But when I Google "End Hunger In Jackson" it says there are 10 groups. I've emailed Immanuel Church asking for more information and I'll post it when if they respond.

I have a list of items my church posted in the weekly bulletin that like to have on hand and I try to purchase those items when I go and have my mom drop those off when she volunteers there for funeral dinners. I usually try to do that once a month, but this article reminds me that I haven't in a while. I'm going to have to go grocery shopping this week.

This also reminds me, that the Post Office will be having their Food Drive in May. I'll do a post on that and I like to collect food at work. I think I'll see if anyone will do it at the golf course too.




No comments: